Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I lost

But I lost well. No democrat has run for anything in my township since the late 70s (this should have been a red flag) so to get the kind of response that I got was encouraging. I was running against two incumbents, both Republican. Here are the numbers: In ward 1, I got 81 and they got 156 and 144. In ward 2, I got 176 and they got 213 and 228. Ward 3 killed me. It is home to The Masonic Home...translation: hundreds of old people that may not always remember their own names, but know they are Republican. And have no idea about current township goings on. I got 246...they got 465 and 508. But this is still a strong showing, especially when considering the number of registered democrats I got to come out on an off year to vote and the number of people I got to split their tickets. So, all in all, I was pleased and will definitely be trying again the next time. It was a very good experience and I got to meet a lot of really nice people.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear you will try again. You were in some tough territory there, & you did do well to get those democrats off their butts & out to vote & to count those who split their tickets--really interesting. I bet you have met lots of great people & they must spur you on. Great job!

10:55 AM  
Blogger EFB said...

That was a great showing. That area is so conservative and it seems so hard to go up against incumbants. In New York, it's the same deal. We've had the same crooked city council member in my neighborhood forever. People recognize the name and pull the lever. It's frustrating for people who want to progress. Anyhow, keep going!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Sorry you lost, but you did so well considering.

1:10 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Thanks for the support. I will keep trying. I learned a lot which will help next time. And it really was a good experience.

1:19 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

And you are right about how conservative it is here. Republican committee members working the polls with me kept quoting the fact that Lancaster County is the most conservative county in the United States. Based on total population and # of registered Republicans. I don't know if that is actually true or not. It feels like it sometimes.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home