Friday, November 04, 2005

aprons



suzie sunshine has a great post today, featuring her boys modeling her vintage apron collection. And even though they will be fodder for one or more therapists in the future, her aprons are pretty cool. I love aprons and have a medium-sized collection.






I started collecting them a few years ago. Something about donning an apron just made cleaning or cooking a little bit more fun. And this isn't just me apparently, as recently I gave my friend a cheery little red floral apron as a gift and even she agreed that it picked up her mood putting it on and has been wearing it often. You can still find them fairly cheap and if you're lucky, you can get a box of them at an auction or garage sale.
They are becoming more popular though. I have seen a few articles in the last few months about people with apron collections and have seen prices on ebay get a little ridiculous on some aprons. The store/catalog Anthropologie even has some great dresses that look kind of aprony.

People think of aprons differently though. Women generally have good memories of grandmothers and homey pursuits. Tell a man you have an apron collection and you get an entirely different reaction. He gets a far away look in his eye and twice I have had men ask if I ever wear my aprons with high heels and nothing on underneath. No, I don't. And how in the world did an apron get a 'dirty' connotation? Very strange. And in my search for apron images on the web, there is in fact a woman that models her aprons very scantily clothed. And she really shouldn't do that. It's a littel weird. Who would buy this woman's aprons? It would be like purchasing used underwear. What market is she aiming for? This isn't even one of the bad pictures. And just so we are clear, these are absolutely not pictures of me, they are of said woman. I take my aprons seriously and do not consider them sex props. At least I would never allow myself to be photographed using them as such. Okay, this post has really gone off track. Aprons are fun to collect and make everyday chores more bearable.

5 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

There is something about aprons that when you put them on make you feel more official in the kitchen. Plus it's great being able to wipe your hands right on them. I have two "manly" aprons. :)

9:40 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

What qualifies as a manly apron? Every now and then I come across vintage man aprons, though they are always for barbecues and feature cute little cartoony figures of a guy in front of a kettle grill. If I see any again I will get one for you. You need one.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

My grandma always had a pile of aprons to choose from, but I don't know where they ended up when she died. A shame.

I have an apron that seems very "williams sonoma" and only wear it when I am dyeing wool, making chocolates or something else really messy. Maybe I should keep an eye out for something prettier.

Do you have any apron patterns? Jane at yarnstorm.typepad.com makes some (I think).

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aprons! Something I always forget to put on in the kitchen. My mother wears aprons & has quite a collection--she loves finding them at yard sales. About 20 years ago when visiting England I picked up 3 aprons--they were full size, covering chest & lap, & made of fabric like one of those table cloths covered in clear plastic which made the apron almost stand on its own w/stiffness--some with flowers, one pubby looking--the men always wear those. I do agree with efb that putting one on makes you feel more official in the kitchen. Gee, now I want to put an apron on, what does it mean?

8:17 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I wear them to cook in but I really love to wear them when I clean. If nobody is home, I put on whatever apron I feel like wearing that day, put on some Billy Holiday or Nat King Cole and it just becomes more fun. I swear I clean more thoroughly when I'm pretending it's the 1940s. It also helps that the kitchen and other parts of the house are decorated with 40s and 50s stuff. I actually want to dust all that McCoy pottery when wearing an apron.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home