Wednesday, November 02, 2005

An exciting morning!

I just got back from a morning in court. I went to see the spectacle that is the Dover Intelligent Design trial in Harrisburg. We refer to it as Scopes II. It was pretty interesting. I got to meet Charles Darwin's great-great-grandson, Matthew Chapman, who is making a documentary for the BBC. There were also people there from Paramount pictures, and HBO, and a documentary filmaker from Miramax. Matthew Chapman said that with all the people hoping to make documentaries, we'll see a little natural selection at work. haha. The trial itself today wasn't super exciting, but it still felt like an event. The prosecution (anti-id) had about 10 lawyers, some from the ACLU and People for the American Way, and People for the Separation of Church and State. They were very well prepared. The defense only had two lawyers that didn't seem to well prepared. I went with a co-worker and we only stayed until the mid-day recess. On the way out, I got interviewed by the Baltimore CBS affiliate about why I was there and what I thought about it. Hopefully I sounded smart. Since I don't get the Baltimore station where I live, the reporter said it might be available on the internet tomorrow. Pretty cool.

3 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

Cool. You have to link to the interview if they post it online.

Wonder when the trial will be over? I really hope the prosecution wins.

4:57 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

At the time we were leaving, the judge had called all the lawyers up to the bench prior to the break. It sounded like he was imploring them to wrap it up this week. And since there is no jury, only the judge, deliberations shouldn't take too long. As irritated as the judge has gotten at some of the witnesses for the defense, I think he will rule in the prosecution's (anti-id) favor. I hope so anyway. There are numerous school districts here waiting to see how this turns out so that they can start teaching intelligent design.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've had quite an interesting week watching all this history unfold. Really interesting about the BBC & documentary makers zooming in. I just viewed the little news film you are in--great stuff!

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home