Monday, February 13, 2006

I cannot move my arms

We got 12 inches of snow over the weekend!! Usually I'm not a snow person, but I really enjoyed this one. It clung to the trees but wasn't too heavy and just looked so very pretty. The dogs surely enjoyed it. They were out so many times yesterday, just running and tunneling and searching for buried critters. They slept so well last night too, deep sleep as soon as they hit the bed. The birds were out and about yesterday too. They had three full feeders and one suet cake and were clustered around those for most of the day. Is there anything prettier than a cardinal sitting in a holly tree that has a light coating of snow? Well, maybe a pine tree loaded with mourning doves all fluffed out to keep warm. I shoveled for two hours on Sunday morning and now I can barely move my arms. Add to that at least 9 hours spent stipping wallpaper with a steamer over the weekend and I'm really hurtin'. And there is still so much more wallpaper to strip. Why oh why do people paper over paper and then paint and then paper. I wish I had a time machine so I could go back to that first person papering over paper and just stop them. Tell them the evils of half-assed work and show them a picture of me, tiredly leaning aginst the wall in a room full of steam, scraping and scraping and scraping. The thing I like best about snow? The light. The whole house was filled with the most crisp and glorious white light. I wish it was like that all the time.

I know I said that we were getting a digital camera for Christmas. And I'd love to have great snow pictures to show, but we bought a king-size bed instead, so the camera will have to wait for a few more weeks. The bed was so worth it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got so much more than us! We got maybe 5". :(

What I've missed about this winter most of all has been that light. It was fabulous last night after the storm blew out and the moon shone through the clouds reflecting on the snow.... simply gorgeous.

1:07 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

How cold is it up there? It must be really really cold. It was cold this morning here, colder than it's been in awhile. The kind of cold that hurts the inside of your nose and makes everything crunchy when you step on it.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I envy you the king size bed. I might forfeit a camera for a king size bed. Lovely descriptions you have written. And do I ever understand the wallpaper frustration! Just thinking of that gives me sore arms. PS it was very cold this morning!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Rurality said...

I thought you were going to say your snowsuit was so padded that you couldn't move your arms... like that kid from the movie "Christmas Story"! :)

I'm so jealous of your snow.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home