Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Garden Podcasts

I don't have an IPod, but a co-worker showed me (I'm hopelessly technologically ignorant) how to download the ITunes player onto my work computer and then download podcasts. There aren't a ton of gardening podcasts out there, but I've found a few really good ones that I enjoy. My favorite is Wiggly Wigglers which is a vermicomposting company based in England. They talk a little about vermicomposting, but mostly about conservation, bringing wildlife into your 'garden' (our yard), responsible farming methods, the evils of corporate groceries determining what we eat, etc. It runs 30 minutes or so and is totally enjoyable.

Another I look forward to is KUOW 94.9 Weekday's gardening Notes with Steve Scher (download from the ITunes Store). This is a call in show based in Seattle that usually has a theme for each show and spends a lot of time talking about fruit trees. The host and co-host are amazingly well-versed in all aspects of gardening and even though it's the west coast, I've learned a lot of valuable information, in addition to finding new sources for plants and trees.

The Land Stewardship Project's podcast is also a good listen. They talk about sustainable agriculuture, sustainable communities, globalization, and the importance of growing your own.

Maybe I'll stop being such a technophobe and buy an IPod, cause I would love to be able to listen to these podcasts in the car. Check them out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was given an IPod & have not taken the time to explore all the possibilities. Thanks for this garden podcast information--I may now take the plunge & see if I can figure it out. As you say, it would be nice to listen to in the car--I have some long drives coming up.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I don't have an iPod, either, but I try to keep track of gardening podcasts, nonetheless. Here are few others I've found:
North Country Public Radio:
http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/newstopics.php?tid=46

Garden-Helper.com:
http://www.garden-helper.com/podcasts/default.asp

Acorns--You and the World of Plants:
http://garden.blogware.com/blog

The Acorns ones are brief (2 minutes, I think) and I don't know how substantial the others are.

For long drives there is an audio book anthology of gardening literature. I think it was called the Writer in the Garden, but I'm not sure.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home