Wednesday, March 08, 2006

March Malaise


I haven't posted in a really long time. Last week and this week have been really busy, but there was a kind of low grade depression there too. Every day was cold and terribly windy and on the weekends, I didn't want to do much else than sit and look out a window. Even my husband walked around the house and kept repeating "I just don't feel like doing anything". But this week is better and this weekend it is supposed to be in the mid-60s so hopefully that will make me all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed again.


Vegetable and flower seeds need to be started this weekend (should have been done last weekend) and fruit trees need to be pruned too. Any remaining perennial stalks need to be cut back, and I should start some seeds outside in flats, like poppies. The shed needs cleaned out, although the chicken issue is up in the air as my friend and the seller of the farm with the chickens can't agree on who should pay to have the septic renovated. So much to do. I didn't make it to the Philadelphia Flower show but my friend and I went to the Mid-Atlantic Garden show in York, Pennsylvania on Sunday. It was small but very nice. I bought two packets of Gladiolus and a Rex Begonia.

My favorite display featured a potting shed, gazebo, and chicken tractor partially made of reclaimed materials. Wouldn't you just love to have this potting shed? How adorable. And the gazebo was made of a reclaimed grain silo roof and barn timbers.



The red wagon thing is a chicken tractor which you can pull anywhere you want in your yard and let your chickens roam and fertilize and eat bugs. There are two chickens in that little white enclosure to the right of the chicken tractor. Anyway, it was a nice way to spend a Sunday and it got me excited again about planting and the thought that any day now, it will be Spring.

Last fall I wrote that I had purchased Winter Aconite and Hellebores and Pheasants Eye daffodils. Well, my hellebores each have one bloom (which was more than I was expecting). The Pheasants Eye are pushing their way up through the soil and I look forward to their spicy scent gracing my table in late April sometime. But the aconite were a no show. I planted 20 and not one popped up. I suppose I will have to call the bulb company this spring and let them know and hopefully they will send me more. Anyway, on the way to the grocery store on Saturday, I passed an older lady's house whose gardens I have always admired. And under the tree in her front yard was a rich spread of aconite, with the sun shining on it. It was so pretty, I had to stop and take a picture. I want aconite under my big trees just like this someday. How pretty on an impossibly cold, very blustery day in March.

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Me too, with the malaise. I'm questioning everything, and the world is GETTING ME DOWN.

Love the garden shed. It's almost too pretty to muck up.

And the Aconite are fabulous. We had a neighbor in NJ whose whole backyard was covered in these teeny little purple crocus in spring. It was unbelievable.

1:14 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Yeah, it's really hard not to get depressed about all the awful things going on and the incredible apathy people have. All you can do is make whatever difference you can and try and change people's minds, which I think you do a great job of. I'm sure there are more than a few people that have been inspired to eat local or garden more or eat healthier or get involved politically as a result of reading what you write.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I really appreciate that, Meredith. Maybe because I've never wanted to be Evangelical (of the organic variety or otherwise), I'm having trouble knowing if "my way" is working. I need to post more about some of the issues that are bugging me... it's just hard to figure out how to do it in a rational way, you know?

7:59 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

It is hard to be rational about some of this stuff. We are living in irrational times. And I do think 'your way' is working. Are there other ways that might work too? Maybe. But look at all you've done to reduce your footprint in this place. And you don't have to be 'evangelical' about it. To me, that means judgemental and preachy (and not necessarily practicing what you preach). I think you influence very well by example. I've been inpsired by things I've read and seen on your site. And you should write about things that are bugging you. You get great discussions and comments going as a result.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took a week off from posting & am just back now, reading yours. "March Malaise"--I like that...now I can rest & put it away, let it go, it's been driving me down. I have no luck w/aconite. How nice your Hellebores have a bloom! The dogs have trampled mine this year. I like your favorite display w/chicken...

11:59 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I love winter aconites, too. When I was in high school I talked my mom into buying some, I stuck them in the ground and they thrived there for 20 years (at least, till my folks moved from there). But I have never had luck with them since. I've found out two things: 1) they are corms, not bulbs, and can dry out between harvest and when you get them in the ground. Consequently, you could be planting dead corms. 2) Rodents like them, so they could have been eaten.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home