Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Dear Rooster,


I'm sorry it has come to this. I tried. I really did. You are such a handsome rooster and I so wanted to keep you. But the crowing....oh, the crowing. I just can't handle it.

It's not you, it's me. A few times, at 6 am was okay. But for half an hour straight? It's too much. And the bigger you get, the louder you get. The dogs don't appreciate it, I don't appreciate it, and husband really, really doesn't appreciate it. And on overcast days, when you crow whenever you feel like it, all day long? I know you can't change. You have to go. So this evening you will be driven to Meadowview Apiary in Manheim. In addition to honey, they raise chickens for eggs. I hear that there are over 100 free range hens there with currently no Rooster. They also breed chickens and that's what you'll be for. You can run free all day instead of only on weekends and when I get home from work. And the man even asked if you crowed and was pleased when I said that indeed you did. He likes roosters that crow a lot. So I think you will be happy.

I'm sorry things turned out this way, Roo. Really I am. But I think it's for the best. The man said I could come visit anytime I wanted, and I will come and see you. We can still be friends. Hopefully you will always let me hold you like a football and pet your shiny feathers. And if the farmer isn't looking, I may even sing to you just like old times, cause even though you are a big boy now, I know you still like it. Take care, buddy.

7 Comments:

Blogger Juli said...

That handsome fella will be quite popular, I'm sure. No offense but you'll be a fragment of a memory when the girls at the Apiary get ahold of him! :) hubbahubba!

10:06 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I hope so. I've given him a good start and just want him to go somewhere nice. Maybe I can buy some of his offspring later, since I'll only have 5 little chickens left.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Bye ole Roo! I know you will be happier and I bet quieter too. At least he had a crowing habit and not an attack habit like some roosters have. He sure is handsome! What color. Bon voyage to Roo & best wishes. xox

11:24 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

What a handsome guy. It would be really cool if you ended up getting some of his offspring in the future.

Happy trails, Roo!

2:16 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

He didn't have an attack habit....yet. I don't think Roo's testosterone was fully flowing quite yet. I'd love some offspring, just so they aren't more little roosters.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Rurality said...

Ooh, ask them if I can mail them a couple more roosters!!!

8:32 AM  
Blogger EFB said...

sounds like it's for the best.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home