Monday, August 14, 2006

Summer come back!


I noticed the light change last week. Tuesday or Wednesday maybe? I walked outside after work and it was different. No more haze. Everything was sharp and clear. The trees in the distance were not blurry anymore, but crisp.

The mornings are cool and the overnights as well. I put on a long sleeved short on Saturday night. I start to get a little panicked every year about this time, as I notice more and more the slide of one season into another.

If you click on this picture to enlarge, you should
be able to see about 9 or 10 cicada skins clinnging to the underside of the Virginia Creeper leaves. They whirr all evening long and are almost deafening at times. But that is a sound of summer to me and I will dearly miss it when it's gone. Note the very long shadow of the chicken at, oh, about 4pm. I miss the long days already.










The garden is starting to fill up with these garden spiders. I must watch myself while bending over and picking tomatoes or pulling weeds. When we get back from our vacation, summer will be over. It might still be warm, but leaves will have started to change and we will pass farm stands offering mums and pumpkins and corn shocks. Summer just goes far too fast.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Conduct said...

I sympathize except the other way around. As the days get longer in the spring (what little we have of it between the 2 cool and damp months and the 8 hot and sweltering months), I start to dread the coming months of endless dripping sweat. I'm plumb sick of it here in mid August and would kill for a cool breeze that doen't come with a giant roaring a/c unit behind it. I really must get rich enough to someday own a summer home in Wisconson or someplace Summer-Tolerable.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Oh, I am so ready for fall. I adore the fall...the summer can never end too soon for me. Which is crazy, I know, because I adore my garden. But there's nothing I hate more than being hot.

I've been noticing more garden spiders this year. I think they are the coolest things ever.

8:47 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Houston might make me think a little different. I envy you the lack of winter though. I'd like a coastal north carolina winter. Maybe snow a few times as a novelty, but never terribly cold. I don't think I'd survive a Maine Winter. And I like fall too, its just that it means winter is coming. And I hate winter.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Farmgirl Cyn said...

I am so torn...on the one hand, I love the summer. There is nothing like sitting on the front porch early in the AM, watching the hummingbirds fly right up to you. On the other hand, autumn is incredible. The smells of Autumn are almost equal to the smells of spring. The cool eves, maybe a campfire where I do not have to sit 10 feet from the blaze! I am thankful for all the seasons we get to enjoy here in the midwest. Each one is bittersweet, as we say goodbye to one, and greet the next.

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I noticed the light change last week too. I love that it is cooler at night for sleeping. Sometimes inside the house is awfully cold compared to outside. I don't like being hot either, however, it is the light I love most, I hate to let that go. I can't get over the cicada skins! How come I never get to see that? I can hear them. I must not be looking. Love your spider! Yup, "summer just goes far too fast".

9:36 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Yes, I miss the light too. Although I do love the light in the house when the ground is covered with snow. But I really only need to see that once or twice, know what I mean? I miss the haze. And crazy as it may seem, I love humidity.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've noticed the same things about this season. It some how already feels like fall around here. My tomato plants remind me it's still summer though.
Ugh, isn't it just gross when you walk through those spider webs? They always seem to get me right around my mouth.
Thanks for the beautiful description of the changing season.

11:22 AM  
Blogger KitcheView said...

I started getting sad about the change of seasons as well. Fall is beautiful and part of winter also, but the whole idea of getting closer to January and February weather just kills me. Not to mention all my tropical plants have to come in and that is always sucha pain.
Your pictures are stunning. I love love looking at pictures. We don't have a camera yet, which is why all my links are of pictures already posted on the internet by someone else.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home