Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Could it get worse?

You betcha!!!

I was surfing around Daily Kos and came across this story. Note the title of the diary...."The scariest fucking thing I have ever read". It really grabs your attention. Now usually stories about Global Warming don't interest me. It's happening. There's not much we can do to stop it. I pretty much have a defeatist attitude because I believe that the changes we are seeing now are probably a result of emissions from the 70s or 80s and we have shot a whole hell of a lot of crap into the atmosphere since then and it's gonna get way worse. If we make changes now, maybe we'll rescue things in time for say still allowing carbon based life forms to exist on the planet somewhere. But life as we know it? Probably gone in the next generation or so. And the subject of the linked article added to the equation? Super! Things will really speed up! Fast forward to total global despair!

Since I only have myself and my husband to fret over, I'm not that freaked out (suprisingly). And I'm embarassed to admit I'm experiencing a little of that "I told you so" anticipation. Although that's horrible, scientists have been talking about this for several decades. There really is no question now. It should be a suprise to no one. It will be interesting to watch. Perhaps I should take USGS Topographics quads home with me at night and speculate on what will or what won't be waterfront by the time I retire. With the housing bubble leaking air pretty quickly around the country, I might be able to pick up something for pretty cheap. And it will be amusing to see how long the deniers can hold out. Who will be the last wingnut standing?

To those of you with children, God bless you. I don't know how you do it. If I had a child right now I would lie awake every night, unable to sleep, my heart heavy with total despair.

5 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Sounds like you got over your baby envy. ;)

I'm also glad that we don't have kids. I don't know how the global warming-deniers who have kids (or grandkids) can live with themselves. Do they really think that God is either going to save the world, or whisk them up to heaven during the rapture? Wait. Don't answer that.

I never thought I'd live to see the end of our civilization. I truly hope I'm wrong in thinking I will.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that did not make my day!

6:42 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Sorry I ruined your day Sandy. I think that most of the global warming deniers are just totally ignorant of basic scientific principles. Water comes from the faucet, air is always there and always at the proper mix for human consumption, food crops don't have a narrow set of growing requirements, etc. It's always been this way and it always will be this way. Wrong. Yeah, baby envy over. I look at my nieces I just wonder what kind of future they will have. But when I realize that something like the Chesapeake Bay will probably be a massive dead zone in MY lifetime, there is just no alternative to seeing the glass half empty.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Yikes. Just yikes. And I say this as a person with a degree in paleontology. I can explain to people what a mass extinction is, but what they often don't grasp is how horrifying it will be to *experience* one.

And Liz, I think you've hit the nail on the head. One of the biggest reasons I get impatient with some evangelicals is their "renter's mentality" when it comes to protecting the planet. They're going to be raptured up, so why worry?

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Carson Home Theater said...

Thankss for a great read

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home