Thursday, July 27, 2006

Oh, sweet summer

Local Meal 5


Whole wheat pasta (which I bought in bulk at Darrenkamps in Mount Joy, but its probably not local) tossed with my tomatoes and pesto made with my basil, my garlic, and parmesan cheese that I had (not local). Pine nuts also not from around here. Hmmmm. What could I substitute there?

Blackberry and Peach crisp, made from peaches from Masonic Home Orchards and Balckberries from my yard. Butter from Shady Acres in Elizabethtown, Daisy flour from the mill in Annville. Sugar not local, but hey.















This is Masonic Homes Farm Market. Cute. It is on the campus of a very expensive retirement community for Masons. They have all kinds of fruit and veggies that they grow on site and this fall they will be offering grass-fed beef for the first time. Yay! And it is only 5 minutes from my house.

I go there every Saturday now, because one of these Saturdays all those plants that are sitting out there will have a 'free' sign on them. Every year, I snag at least 10 large geraniums. And yes, it's almost August, but I can still enjoy them for at least another 2 and a half months.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did I look at this right before supper???

Looks so good, and it makes me miss blackberries, we had them in Oklahoma. Thanks for reminding me I bought pine nuts last Saturday, too! Wonder what I did with them?

6:39 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I bet you can grow blackberries there. I fought these bushes for three years, not knowing what they were. They just spread everywhere. I feel stupid that I could have had berries so long ago.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I love seeing the ingredients before & after. That crisp looks fabulous... I can't wait for our blackberries to start ripening!

8:49 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Point noted. I will include before and after from now on.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing the before and after is definitely a connection. I like that too! Everything looks scrumptious and you are putting me in the mood to be more of a cook when I return home. On the road travelling and noting what access each area has to local produce and the like. Some have to use a lot of gas in their cars to drive for local foods...such a shame we have to hunt in that way.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home