Monday, July 17, 2006

Garlic Harvest

I harvested my garlic on Saturday. I have a lot of garlic! I planted 2 bulbs of hardneck and 2 bulbs of softneck. It seems like I harvested a lot more than I planted....I mean each clove produces one head, but it seems like I have more heads that I planted cloves. Weird. Most of it turned out a normal size. Some of it was kind of puny. And others are absolutely enormous, like it takes up my entire hand!

Things I learned:
Garlic likes mulch.
Garlic does not like to be crowded. The largest heads were the ones that had the most space and were not crowded by the neighboring Swiss Chard.
Garlic likes water.
Cutting off the scapes really does result in a larger head on the hardneck varieties. I left one scape on to experiment with planting the resulting bulbils. That head was much smaller than the ones from which I had cut the scapes earlier.

I bundled them bunches and they are currently hanging in the garage attic to cure. They make the entire garage smell like garlic. It is supposed to be 98 degrees today. I hope I am not slowly cooking them. Garlic was very easy to grow and I will plant much more in the fall.

8 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

I love fresh garlic and onions. They sell them at farmers markets now. The flavor is brighter.

12:12 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I will let you know how the flavor is. I guess I can eat it right out of the ground. I suppose curing is only for storage purposes.

1:00 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Definitely for storage. It all looks great... I'll probably be pulling mine by the end of the month. And my sunflowers aren't even blooming yet!

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good garlic advice. I did shallots this year, and have garlic chives, so thougt I might do real garlic next spring.
Love the flowers, and the beautiful sky you have.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also love fresh garlic! What a harvest you have. Will you be able to braid it together? Let us know the flavor, give it a taste test and we can pretend to taste along. Sunflowers! Your garden must be such a wonderful place to be.

5:00 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

If you aren't bothered by weeds, it's a great place! It's never weed free. And it's rather unruly at this point. Things are growing everywhere! I'll taste test it soon and let you know.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not bothered by weeds. Sounds like my garden at this point--unruly & blooming its head off. Will wait for taste test of garlic.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home