Monday, September 15, 2008

Field Photos


Last week I had a lot of field work to do for my job. Tiring but good. Here are some photos.
The first two are from Fairmount Park in Philadelphia.
I am 38 years old and I never noticed that the inside of a black walnut looks like a heart. Now I see them everywhere.


An orange shelf fungi. You could see this from a mile away, it was so vibrant.


A giant piece of conglomerate. Conglomerate is a sedimentary rock and you don't often see pieces this size. I think it is part of the Pottsville Formation found in the Anthracite regions in Eastern Pennsylvania. Zoom in for a closer look. That is my field book for scale.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kitt said...

I heart walnuts!

Most of the conglomerate we see around here is just dug-up concrete.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Matriarchy said...

There is a vein of this along 422 in Exeter Township, Berks County. Large boulders of it front the parking lot of Boscov's Appliance Outlet. There was more of it lying around before construction for the new shopping center started. I've been looking at it since I was a kid - the local high school is nearby - always thought it looked cool.

4:55 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Great Googlies that is a large piece of Conglomerate!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Meresy,
I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Gardening Community on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home