Monday, February 05, 2007

The weekend


Little bit of snow on Friday afternoon. Not enough to write home about. It was downright balmy compared to today. We're in the single digits with a treacherous windchill. It was down to ZERO overnight, so yesterday the chickens got a heat lamp installed in addition to their water heater and are faring well. I seriously do not want to deal with frostbitten combs and toes nor do I want to have to contemplate amputation. I'm probably being overcautious, but oh well.



Things were pretty much melted and the roads were clear by Saturday morning, so I could make my way out in search of good junk. More on that in a later post. I got some fun stuff!








We had fires in the woodstove on Friday and Saturday nights, but Sunday we started early. Nothing like reading the morning paper by the fire. And then reading gardening books the rest of the day battling to keep animals off your lap.


Chessie and Roy stayed by the fire all day. They both love to be very warm. Emmett (not a lover of heat) stayed in the doorway to the room and kept an eye on the unholy alliances forming in front of the woodstove.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't your animals look cozy! We have had the cold and wind for the last several days, too. Right now, at 5:30, it is 6ยบ.
I love that top photo of the snow on iron. Do you go junking on the weekends? My sister in Ok loves to go when she is up here. She says Maine has good old stuff.

Keep warm!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hey, it's one here at 6:20! How low can it go? Nothing beats the woodstove, even when it's frigid and howling out.

I once heard an oldtimer up here say that Mainers make antiques during the long, cold winter. ;)

6:22 PM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

Your kitty and dog are so cute. I'm jealous of them -- I want a nice wood stove, too! It's good you put in a heater for your chickens. Keep those birdies warm.

Friday afternoon in the snow was seriously one of the worst drives I've had from NYC. The snow wasn't so bad, nor was it slippery, but the rain and slush from the trucks was a nightmare. It was so bad, I told my boss that if there was either snow or heavy rain predicted I'm automatically taking a half day on Friday.

Also, Liz, that cracks me up about Mainers making antiques during the winter. Have to have something to do, right? :o)

8:26 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I do go junking whenver I get the chance. I especially love old iron gates. I'd like to have a little fence made entirely of old gates set end to end. I love all old house parts too. hinges, doorknobs, keys, etc. I seriously want this cold to be over. I hate going outside in the morning. And the furnace tries to hard to keep the house even at 60 degrees. I worry about fire all day while I'm at work. 25 degrees looks pretty good about now.

12:11 PM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

I'm with you, I love old house parts. There was a house on the corner of East Petersburg and Fruitville Pikes that was recently torn down. People had been living there and it was kind of shabby but it didn't look like it was ready to be condemned. Whoever owned it must have sold off the land and it's currently being bulldozed to put up who the hell knows what.... tract housing... a strip mall. I was so sad to see that house torn down, which surely had more character than any of the other crap that will be going up. I really hope someone was able to salvage the good stuff out of it before the bulldozers came.

The apartment we live in now is part of an old house but it has so many neat nooks and crannies. I especially love the transom windows and the bannister going up our stairs.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

*ahem* There's always the garage for those chickens... ;)

Which is Chessie and which is Roy? I was thinking the dog was chessie (black and white like a chess/checkerboard) but then I thought that the cat might be named for the Cheshire cat. Hmm. Either way, your dog has very pretty markings. His/her face looks a lot like my dog's--my girl is half lab, half malamute.

7:24 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Glad to hear the chickens are faring well! The heat lamp was a good idea! Is your coop insulated?

Ah, gardening books in front of the fire...sigh...

10:48 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Roy is the kitty and Chessie is the dog. She is named for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Line "Chessie", y'know the one that has the sleeping kitten on the side of the trains. My husband works for the railroad, so go figure.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home