Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Things that are scary

Okay, first, go read this post at The Underpaid Kept Woman. GO ahead. I'll wait.


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


*


Scary right? Reallllllllyyyyyyy Realllllllyyyyyyy scary. And in a later post she actually says that she bought the thing AND IS BRINGING IT INTO HER HOUSE. And the scariest thing is one of the comments about that picture and having it in your house and hearing skittering feet in the night and turning the light on and the little boy isn't in the picture anymore and holy crap that makes my throat tighten up. Freaky little children scare me. There is nothing scarier than a movie about a possessed child unless it is a movie about killer ventriloquist dummies. I can't even watch the tv promos for that movie Dead Silence. I have to turn my head and look at the wall.





Other things that are scary:



  • very very short people. I don't know why. Maybe because I'm 5' 9", but I am freaked out by very short people. Not necessarily scared, but definitely disturbed.

  • peacocks. When I was little I stayed at my grandparents a lot and my grandmother would put me outside in one of those round collapsible play yards, you know, the kind you pinch your fingers in? And one of the houses in the neighborhood had peacocks. And you could hear them calling in the distance. And she told me that peacocks peck out bad little children's eyes. Especially blue ones. So I better behave. Guess what color my eyes are? And then she would go inside. And I would sit there motionless listening to the peacocks and being good. Thanks Nanny.

  • monkeys, but you knew that already.

  • my grandparents basement. Terrifying. Long and never ending basement with big sections of those bamboo screens hanging (that people hung on their porches) where totally anybody could hide and wait. even peacocks. And there were five bare light bulbs with pull chains that you had to turn off as you made your way to the steps, so the dark was always encroaching on you and by the time you were almost to the steps you couldn't see the area with the bamboo screens anymore. Or the dresser that belonged to the previous owner whose son hung himself down there that eveybody said was haunted and it was scary. Scary as a child and scary as a 30-something. I lived there for awhile after my grandfather died and I had to get the house ready to sell and even as an adult, I hustled for the steps and never ever looked back at the bamboo screens.

  • A Legend of Sleepy Hollow read along record narrated by Bing Crosby. I can't even bring myself to put it on, it is that scary. It just sits there in the extra bedroom collecting dust.

  • spiders that jump

  • Alberto Gonzales

  • Dancing with the Stars

This house. During a wetland job I came across this house. This abandoned house in the middle of nowhere. See that arty looking thing over the doorway? It is a female face with vampire teeth. I almost peed myself when I walked up to it and saw what it was. But why was it on an abandoned house out in the middle of nowhere? Ther person I was working with was not scared and insisted that there was a good explanation. Couldn't think of one, but insisted there was one. And then a little man came from around the back of the house and asked us what we were doing. And we told him and he said that we should stay away from there and then he went back behind the house. And there was no car, no driveway, no where for him to go but into this abandoned house. And I was totally freaked out and the idiot that I worked with kept insisting that there was a good explanation. Yeah, if weirdos that think they are vampires is a good explanation.

  • The guy that owns the shop where I buy my pet food. He thinks that he is Hunter S. Thompson I believe. Same glasses worn propped on his head, same kind of clothes, same gonzo approach to life, only here it isn't jornalism, it is kibble, but still. I don't know why he scares me. I can't even bring myself to speak to him, so when he talks to me I just kind of stare at the ground and nod my head appropriately.
  • The Count on Sesame Street. I think it is the pointy nose. I used to hide behind the chair when I was a kid and he came on the TV. I don't do that now, but if I flip past and see him, I definitely get a chill. Funny.
  • Old fashioned wheelchairs
  • Abandoned mental health facilities. Google Byberry. SCARY.

So what weird things are you scared of?

11 Comments:

Blogger cyndy said...

hey, your grandparents basement sounds just like my grandparents basement (except there was a fish tank down there without any lights on it, and a big fish living alone in there...)

oh, and Google Byberry...yes, very scary....

9:05 AM  
Blogger El said...

You know, nothing really gives me the hooky spooks like you seem to get. I did get a good laugh though about your demons.

I was always the kid who "went first" when something scared us all. And I usually volunteered.

But peacocks' calls are kind of haunting. Other-worldly. (As you know we have them around here. One day when the kid was a small thing, I pushed her down our country roads in her stroller (and assuring the well-meaning drivers-by that NO I don't need help; we are just out for a walk...can you believe...) and I saw some things strolling through a field and thought: well. Wild turkeys, how quaint. Looked closer and yep they were peacocks.

9:51 AM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

It's good to have you back -- you were missed!

The picture of the demon children just gave me the skeeves. Why on earth would anyone want to buy that and keep it in their house, especially knowing that the glass continued to crack for unexplainable reasons? I mean, I guess that's harmless enough, but I still would not want to bring those bad vibes into my house.

I can take all manner of "natural" creepy crawlies, like mice, bugs and snakes, but nothing freaks me out more than the dark. It's nightlights all around for me. Oh, and Dancing With the Stars is totally creepy, too.

I grew up in the Willow Grove/Hatboro area, which is not far from Byberry, and it was still open for business when I was a kid. Mothers used to threaten their kids with, "They're going to cart you off to Byberry if you don't behave!" My mom grew up in the Somerton section of Philadelphia, which is like right there, and she said that escaped patients used to come to their house, looking for shelter. My grandmother used to give them a sandwich and something to drink, and then while they were eating go call the authorities. Looking back, they would have been better off if she had sent them on their way afterwards.

8:24 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Oh my gosh I can't imagine growing up near there. I guess it closed in the 80s when the govt. closed many of the fed. run psychiatric hospitals. I used to work with some people that did lead paint and asbestos testing and removal there in the late 90s and they are full of scary stories. One of the guys just flat refused to go back in there. Just too many unexplained sights and sounds. I'm not sure I believe in ghosts but I can sort of believe that negative energy might be connected to a place, especially a place like that.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Susie Sunshine said...

The scariest thing I've encountered is my 9th grade picture (think: first perm.)

Demon children, eyeball removing peacocks, vampire lady houses, and haunted basements seem downright charming compared to it.

10:47 AM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

Byberry was about a twenty minute or so drive from my house, so I wasn't nearly as close as my mom was. One thing I definitely remember from Byberry is that when they started closing it in the 80s they just evicted patients who didn't have families or arrangements to go into another facility out on the streets. Suddenly the homeless population burgeoned in Philadelphia. I was working in Center City at the time and I saw a dramatic increase in the homeless population during the five or six years I was there. It was so sad; these poor people had nowhere to go. I don't know if they've been taken care of since then, but it was a big problem in the late 80s and early 90s in Philadelphia.

11:44 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I've never had a perm. Simply because they are entirely too scary.

3:37 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Ha! Movies about ANY kind of dolls, clowns of any kind, and things that swim in the ocean....

Great post.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Robbyn said...

Charley McCarthy ventriloquists dummies...don't they just creep you out?? It doesnt help that the Twilight Zone had an episode about that, and it only reinforced it to me.

I can NOT watch anything remotely horror-related. I love a good thriller, but horror NO. What scared me was when I was little and my grandma had a hide-a-bed that backed right up to the window. The roll-down shades had about an inch on either side that didnt go all the way to the edge. My sister and I would bundle up with Grandma in the pull-out bed late at night and the only show they could get reception for was Perry Mason...remember the lead-in music? Great show, but Grandma fell asleep Always about ten minutes into things. It was about then I was SURE there HAD to be SOMEONE looking in at us from outside that window. CREEPY! lol

My daughter can't have dolls "looking at her" at night in her room. She used to turn their heads to the wall...ha! For me it was half opened closet doors. If one is even cracked at night and I can see it, I have to shut it.

Laughing...I didnt know I had any hangups till right now! ;-)

10:05 PM  
Blogger Naturegirl said...

This was a weird post and it takes all kinds I guess.I try to keep weirdisms away I put up my hand no way do I want them near me! Oh those hands in the photo..creepy...looks like a collage of different body parts!! Yikes! :( NG

2:35 PM  
Blogger Arthur said...

I can't say I've ever heard a peacock's call. I'll have to check that out.

I did a post about scary things myself. Dolls and clowns scare me more than anything in the world. Anyways, if you're interested, here's the post I wrote:

Scariest things

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home