Monday, August 28, 2006

Local Meal 9

I went to a party on Saturday and took this:
Look at all my cute little eggs. Supplemented with two Shady Acres (those are the big ones). And a tomato salad with my tomatoes, basil, cippolini onions, and fresh mozzarella from S. Clyde Weaver at Central Market.









Wednesday I made chicken corn soup. Chicken was Bell and Evans from the grocery store (but produced entirely in Lacanster County without antibiotics or hormones etc. Corn was from the Snyder Farm up the road. The eggs and onions are mine and celery was from a roadside stand on Route 230 between Etown and Middletown. These two containers went into the freezer to be enjoyed this winter. This is a Pennsylvania Dutch thing. Soup is not everyone's idea of summer fare, but Chicken Corn soup is definitely summer fare around here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Farmgirl Cyn said...

Would you have the recipe for said chicken/corn chowder? Sounds yummy, and there is certainly an abundance of corn this time of year.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I can't believe how many eggs you've gotten already! Is everyone laying now?

7:48 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I think there are at least two laying. I get about two a day, sometimes three. I had to save up those eggs for a week to get that many.

Recipe for Chicken Corn Soup

1 chicken
4 quarts water
little salt (added during last 1/2 hour of cooking the chicken)
Cook chicken in large soup pot until done. Remove chicken and strain remaining broth.

Chop one medium onion, 4 ribs celery and add to broth. Cut kernels from 10 ears of sweet corn. Cut up cooked chicken and add back into broth. Simmer for awhile (at least 30 minutes). Add 3 or 4 chopped hard-boiled eggs during the last 10 minutes of cooking. To be really Dutchy, you can add Rivels which I think is just a dough made from flour, water, and an egg. They are then added to the broth and they cook on top, like little dumplings. I didn't add rivels. I'm pretty sure the recipe for those can be found online.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the soup recipe! The tomato salad looks very good too. As do the eggs. What did you stuff the eggs with? It's lunch time and I'm hungry after looking at all of this. Torture.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Took that recipe, looks good, So do the picnic eggs. Haven't made them in a while.
Again, I am looking at your food shots right before supper, and starving!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home