Monday, November 21, 2005

Got pumpkin?

I do. Lots and lots. Ungodly amounts of pumpkin. Yesterday I picked two of the pumpkins residing on the porch to use for cooking. One Long Island Cheese and one musquee de provence. I am making a pumpkin cheesecake and maybe some extra pies for people to take home (because I worship at the church of martha). So after taking out the seeds to save for next year, I roasted two pumpkins. The Musquee had suprisingly thick walls and I thought I may end up with a little more than I need. Ha! After everything was roasted and pureed, I ended up with at least 30 cups of pureed pumpkin. I even drained it. Still, I am up to ears in pumpkin. And there are still 5 or 6 pumpkins out there. I pawned some off on co-workers, will make pumpkin butter tonight while I'm cleaning, will have enough to make a cheesecake and several pies and will still have way too much pumpkin. Maybe I'll make pumpkin soup over the weekend with the kids. Will kids eat pumpkin soup? What else can I do with pumpkin besides fattening baked goods?

This weekend will also be Christmas decorating time. I thought I'd be early, getting it done right after Thanksgiving. I'd be wrong. I took the foofies (dogs) for a walk yesterday in Marietta. There were houses that had all their decorations up already. And people were all over town on ladders, etc. putting up lights and greenery, etc. Crazy. But you put so much work into it, I guess it makes sense to make it last as long as possible. I should have put up lights in the trees this past weekend. It was so nice out. It will invariably be 10 degrees when I do it and of course you can't wear gloves and handle those little white lights, so my hands freeze.

This weekend was list making mania. Lists of things to get done before Thanksgiving, lists of what to buy, lists of the order things get cooked on the big day, lists of decorations to put up, lists of what to buy people for christmas. Good thing I stopped at the liquor store on Saturday. I already feel the stress starting. That glass of wine will be tucked behind the cookie jar on the kitchen counter all through the holidays. And I don't even have kids. I don't know how all of you out there with kids do it. I swear I don't.

5 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

what about pumpkin ravioli? if you don't feel like making homemade pasta (and who does?) you could use frozen wonton wrappers and stuff them with pumpkin. maybe you could even freeze them?

this is a great recipe for butternut squash lasagne, but i imagine you could use pumpkin just as easily. i used kabocha squash last time i made it and it was delish! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/105911

10:46 AM  
Blogger EFB said...

oops here's the link:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/105911

10:47 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bring the pumpkins inside and put them in a cool room in your house (50-60˚). They will keep until at least January.
Until then...
pumpkin soup, pumpkin galette, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cranberry cookies, and the favorite pile of pumpkin on a plate surrounded with ravioli and drizzled with sage and garlic butter.

1:10 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

What kind of sauce do you use for pumpkin ravioli? Or do you just use a flavored butter sauce?

1:44 PM  
Blogger EFB said...

traditional thing to do is a brown butter sage sauce. quick and easy.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home