Monday, November 21, 2005

Pumpkin, beets, et al.....

Thanks for the pumpkin recipe ideas. I definitely want to try the pumpkin ravioli recipe. That sounds really good. I saw pumpkin risotto recipes too, so that sounds like something to try. Last night I made roasted beets and carrots. Oh my god, were they good. I have never been a beet person. Where I live, beets are the things used to color eggs pink. I never ate the pickled beets offered at almost every picnic, etc. So in my quest to eat seasonal produce (remember the brussel sprouts?) I picked up beets from the store on Saturday. Once again, just because it's quick, I tossed cut up carrots and beets with olive oil and balsamic and roasted them for an hour. A little salt and pepper....super good. I love beets now. I can't believe that I'm 35 and am just discovering beets. So many good beet years down the drain. Oh well. I just ate them again for lunch and I swear they were even better. I have an incredible urge today for homemade chex mix, drenched with worcestershire and butter....I wonder what that means? Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to everybody. Enjoy your holiday.

4 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

I hated beets as a kid. Now I love them. I just had a roasted beet salad last night at a restaurant and it was so good.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Come up here and I'll feed you beets. I harvested 30 pounds this fall and I keep wondering how we're going to eat all those beets. I may turn pink by the end of the winter.

6:59 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Oh my gosh, thats a lot of beets. What will you do with all of them? It's not like there's a ton of recipes out there for beets. What kind did you plant? I've tried a few beets the last two years, but nothing ever grows. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. When do you plant yours?

9:29 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

They are called Cylindra and it was the first time I have had such good success. I didn't even thin them...they just grew and grew. Gah. You're right, there aren't a lot of beet recipes out there, so I'm sure there will be plenty for the compost pile. Mostly I've been roasting them. James has this crazy notion to make beet pie and I wish him luck with that.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home