Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Seeds 2

So Saturday I went to my local garden center to see what seeds they had before I sent in my seed catalog order. And to my suprise, I was able to buy most everything I wanted. They carry Rohrer Seeds, from Smoketown, Lancaster County. And they also carry Burpee and The Cooks Garden (which was purchased by Burpee I think last year). Rohrer had a lot of heirloom varieties. I guess the demand for heirlooms is getting bigger all the time so most any seed company has to get with it to stay alive. So here is what I bought:

Swiss Chard "Bright Lights" I've never grown this. Any hints?
Beets "Detroit Red"
Brussel Sprouts "Long Island Improved"
Onions "Candy" I still want to order Cippolini onions though. They look good.
Sugar Snap peas
Snow peas "Melting" something (I'm doing this from memory)
Three kinds of beans: Yellow wax, a purple kind, and haricot verts
Podded peas "Spring"
Lettuce "Black seeded Simpson, Red sails, Buttercrunch, and Simpson elite
Spinach "Melody hybrid"
Squash "Turks Turban, Yellow Straight neck" and a zucchini one I can't remember
Dill "Mammoth"
Basil "Sweet Genovese"
Carrots "Nantes", I'll try harder this year to work with them
Gourds "Mini Mixed Ornamentals"
Melons "Charantais" and "Moon and Stars"
Cabbage - some red kind. Also never grown it. Any hints?
Scallions from the Cooks Garden

and a few flowers:
Scarlet Red Celosia or Cocks Comb
Tithonia or Mexican Sunflower I think
Grandpa Otts Morning Glory
a lovely little Marietta type marigold that is primarily red. Ordinarily I don't like marigolds, but I'll try them for their pest deterrance reputation.

I'm forgetting things here. I know I had a whole heaping brown bag of seeds and this isn't all of them. I need to buy a heat mat or two which they did not have at that store. I will probably order it. But I so want to get started. Yesterday is was 62 degrees here. Crazy for January. There are Daffodils coming up everywhere. My garlic that I planted last fall is also beginning to make an appearance. Woohoo!

On a sad note, last week we had our septic system cleaned (lovely) and there seems to have been a third tank which we did not know about. Unfortunately this third tank was located beneath a perennial garden that I put in the first year we were in the house. So I lost quite a few plants. I was able to save a few, but several Shasta Daisies and Rose Campion and Penstemon were gonners. That sucked. But it explains why things never grew really well right in the center of that bed (where the manhole is a little over a foot under the soil) and I won't spend a bunch of money on hollyhocks to put in ther center and wonder why they are dead by July like I have for the past three years. Oh well, live and learn.

4 Comments:

Blogger EFB said...

Wow. You won't have to buy vegetables at all this summer! Sorry about the septic tank. At least you can start fresh. hopefully things will grow better now.

9:38 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I'm thinking that it's a great place for a birdbath. A really big one. Or perhaps several tiered ones. I feel like an idiot for not knowing it was there. Yeah, I won't have to buy vegetables this summer. And hopefully I'll be able to keep a lot of stuff for next winter, like garlic and onions and squash. I will probably grow potatoes too. I tried that once before but they got some kind blight and they died.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading your great selection of seeds I want to put my coat on & head out to my local nursery to see what they have in stock. I've never grown Swiss Chard. I wish I could grow lots of vegetables here, but no room (lack of light). I will copy your lettuce choice of seeds. Yay! Tithonia! It is awful about your septic system. That really stinks.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great collection of seeds!
Swiss Chard is so easy... plant the seeds in rows and step back.. it totally takes care of itself.
Red Cabbage is much less desireable to the cabbage loopers than the green. Maybe they can't see it?

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home