Tuesday, January 31, 2006

We're screwed

I can't believe that they confirmed Alito. How could all those Senators not realize that installing him on the Supreme Court makes them irrelevant. The Court has now become a rubber stamp for whatever ridiculous rollback in civil liberties, env. regulation, constitutional rights King George feels like engaging in. We're in a war that will never end and he'll just keep claiming these ridiculous power grabs as legal during a time of war and even if enough people wake up and try to impeach him, the Supreme Court won't let it happen. Did you ever think about leaving? I'm starting to think about that more and more. I'm not sure where I would go, but I really see very dark days ahead (at least for the rest of my lifetime).

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised...the Dems are really no different to me than the Republicans. What I find interesting is that all these people (Roberts, Alito, etc) are very supportive of the "imperial presidency" when it comes to GWB, but I wonder how supportive they'll be of presidential power when a Dem sits in the White House.

I think about leaving often. Canada seemed like an option, but with their recent election, they seem to be following our perilous lead. New Zealand?

1:08 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

But New Zealand is so far. I don't think the hypothetical "but what will happen when a democrat is president" matters to them. Diebold has infiltrated almost all the swing states. I honestly don't think we'll ever have a fair election again. I need to go somewhere warm. Ughhh...this sucks.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had nightmares all of last night after the State of the Union Address...

3:54 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I couldn't watch it and turned it off after 10 minutes. I watched a Sex and the City rerun instead. Watching him speak and all those morons clap makes me ill.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Ms. Conduct said...

NZ isn't any better. DH and I were there during their elections last year. Weird stuff. They have some issues, for sure. AU was fabulous, though their current leader panders to W. Still it's far enough away that you don't have to hear or see his ungrammatical idiot drawl too much. (As a Texan, I apologize for letting him get his foot in the door. I fought it as hard as I could. Campaigned for Ann Richards and everything... still can't believe it actually happened.)

Anyway, I'm new to this blog but it great! Sorry it too me so long to find!

10:20 AM  
Blogger EFB said...

I think if we don't get a more moderate regime next time around, I would think about leaving. Not sure where though.

11:10 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Welcome Garden Obsession. Nice to have a new pair of eyes reading my random writings.

efb, Do you think it's possible that we'll ever again get anything but this?

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home