Thursday, September 21, 2006

So soon?


I'm wearing a sweater today. The heat was on in the car this morning. The down comforter is on the bed. Last night the bedroom windows had to be shut. It just can't, can't be fall already.

The corn around us will come down soon and the neighborhood barn social is coming the middle of October. One of the things that I hate about getting older is the sense of the passing of time. It just seems like it gets faster and faster. It isn't fair. Pretty soon it will be dark when I go to work and dark when I get home . And winter will seem to drag on forever.

I will probably switch the house over to fall this weekend. Take down the summer wreaths and put up the fall ones. Put out a few pumpkins and probably buy some mums for the porch. I need to order bulbs too. More Pheasant's eye narcissus, many more winter Aconite, and some more tulips, maybe orange ones this year, with some pale purple grape hyacinth. The flower to the right is a fall blooming crocus which I highly recommend. The foliage comes up early in the spring and the flowers come in September. A former owner of our house planted an entire line of them along the garage wall at the front of the house. I probably need to separate them. Its thrilling to see Crocus in September. I'm not sure if these are the variety that Saffron comes from or not. They probably are as at least one former owner was very into herbs and such.

I will spend the entire weekend outside. I wish I could save up all the warmth and sunshine. It will be gone before I know it.

6 Comments:

Blogger wurwolf said...

I love your picture of the corn field in front of the barn and the hills. One of the things I love about living in northern Lancaster county is the hills. As long as I live I don't think I will ever stop thrilling to the beauty of our home -- I love driving over a hill and seeing fields spread out below me. It kills me to think that suburban sprawl may one day take over because it would totally ruin Lancaster county. We have some of the most fertile soil in the world; to build yet another housing development/strip mall on it is such a crime! Thankfully, building has slowed down but every time I see some dumb McMansion being promoted in the real estate section of the paper I just get sick.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent. I will miss summer but I do love the turn of the seasons -- even though it tells me I'm getting older, the change of seasons also lets me know I'm alive.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photos are beautiful. Don't worry, winter will fly by as fast as the the rest of the year has. I never get to all the projects that I plan to do during the dark time, and I am sure you are the same.
It helps for me, that the garden catalogs come by January, and that I have seeds started by late February to watch.

12:29 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I think an awful lot of those McMansions are standing around unsold. You wonder how the developers can just see dollar signs. Our economy will be screwed too as our top two moneymakers are agriculture and tourism. People won't keep coming to see sprawl.

Yes sandy, thank God the seed catalogs come so early. Once the holidays are over I really need a distraction. And I do have three rooms that need painted and finished, so I have plenty to do, but still. I miss it so already.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meredith, you bring fall in with your words and pictures. How great you have the fall blooming crocus! I grew those where I used to live--I miss them so much. I agree, it is thrilling to see crocus bloom in Sept. Can we skip winter entirely?

9:14 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I'd like to skip winter entirely. Maybe one snow, but that's really enough in my opinion. I really should be living further south.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

As much as I love winter, I wasn't ready to be chilled to the bone (and drenched) at the fair today. Usually, we're slurping down ice cream and watermelon. Today it was baked beans. It does seem soon.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home