Wednesday, October 11, 2006

On the way to work

I am a blue highway kind of girl. If I can avoid an interstate or other high speed road in favor of a back road, I will do it every time. The road I take to work runs almost parallel to a 4 lane highway, but you never get to see things like this on that route.


These dahlias are spectacular. I couldn't capture the entire area, but there is literally a five-level terraced stone dahlia garden at what is actually the caretakers house of an estate outside of Elizabethtown. I think it is called Stone Gables. And they sell mason jars full of cut Dahlias for $3.00 to benefit a charity called Brittany's Hope. There are just so many flowers it is hard to appreciate them all. I think the beds are heated in some way, because there is no way they dig all those tubers up every fall.














Anyway, I thoroughly enjoy driving past these flowers twice a day and thought you would enjoy seeing them also. Get off the highway every now and then. You might be suprised what you find.











6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I did enjoy seeing them. I thought dahlias only had to be dug up here where the ground freezes.

I read Blue Highways a long time ago. My husband and I are backroad people, too.

6:01 PM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

I love the peach-colored cactus dahlias. I had them in my garden years ago and I never dug them up. They just came back on their own every spring. I think maybe because the garden was up against the house and so was protected from the fiercest weather. At any rate, the jars full of dahlias is such a beautiful picture. The Mennonite market I go to sells jars of fresh flowers and I occasionally buy one, just to brighten up the kitchen.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wow. Those are stunning.

I think I might live on a "blue highway" (it's a state numbered road).

11:08 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Liz, you do live on a blue highway. And there is probably somebody (or somebodies) that drive by every day to and from work that admire your ducks and pond and garden etc. That's a good feeling, huh?

I should try and grow more Dahlias. They just seem finicky for some reason. I planted two this year and only one came up and was a little stunted.

11:27 AM  
Blogger EFB said...

thanks for sharing. they are stunning. i also try to take the back way as much as possible. you get stop and smell the flowers literally.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous! All those dahlias! Very uplifting. I really like the mason jar display of the dahlias. That would be a lot of tubers to dig up. I didn't grow any dahlias this year and regretted it. It is worth travelling the blue highway.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home