Monday, October 02, 2006

Some unrelated musings

So any day now this guy is gonna 'disappear'. He is Gil Smart, and he writes a righteous liberal column in my local paper called Smart Remarks. It was a great column on Sunday, all about our slide into tyranny. He mentions a letter to the editor from the previous week by a woman who wishes for a dictatorship for about 20 years to teach unappreciative Americans a lesson. I read that line about 20 times. How can there be a person in my community that is WISHING for a dictatorship? I think about the movie Hotel Rwanda and remember the people that looked the other way as their neighbors were dragged off into the night for simply belonging to another ethnic group and I can easily imagine this woman looking the other way. Or simply reporting friends and neighbors for speaking out about the government.

We are living in some strange times. I keep wanting to believe that common sense will rule. Cooler heads will prevail. This will all be realized very shortly as the giant mistake it is. Suspend Habeas corpus? Sanction torture? How could we have been so wrong? That isn't the American Way. But I'm not so sure. Anyway, I'm tired of thinking about it.

Sunday was a gorgeous day. After reading the morning papers and fuming for several hours, I decided to throw myself into more useful tasks. The chickens were grateful to be out in the sun and were feeling extra social, following me around everywhere. Except when they were just lazing around, soaking up the sun. They ate many tomatoes yesterday, in addition to two overripe peaches and some aging sweet corn. It was a good day for them.

It was nice and breezy so I washed some curtains that I had purchased and hung them outside. They were dry in about 20 minutes. They are sort of a swiss dot fabric and look cute in my pretty much entirely white bedroom. Gives it kind of a lightly filtered glow.

Earlier in the day I made a little omelet with some fresh eggs and some of my homemade jam on an English muffin. For dinner I made ham and green beans with a baked apple for dessert. The only non-local things were the raisins in the apple and the English muffin. I've got to do more bread baking. How hard could an English muffin be?

In the evening, after dinner, I picked up Maragaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", a book I had just gotten at the library. I've read it multiple times and used to own it (I sold it at a garage sale I think). But hadn't read it in awhile and thought that it seems kind of relevant in these times. If you've never read it, it's about a democratic society that has been taken over by a fundamental religious dictatorship. All freedoms are cutailed, women pretty much have no rights (are not even allowed to read), and the people are governed using fear. Can you imagine? Early on in the book there is a great line between a woman lamenting all the freedoms she has lost and her 'minder', who wonders why she isn't more happy about having no crime and never having to worry about rape (because women are severely limited as to where they can go and must always be with another woman). They are all being kept so SAFE by their government. Keeping them safe from those that want to kill them. The line is "There are two kinds of freedom; freedom to and freedom from. You are being given freedom from. Don't underrate it." So that's great people! We're being given freedom from! I guess we're just not thankful enough.

7 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I read the Handmaid's Tale in college, and am probably due for a refresher (that was what...13 years ago? a lot has changed since then).

Why won't my chickens eat tomatoes? Are they just uppity roosters who know their days are numbered and couldn't be bothered with antioxidants?

p.s. the Smart Remarks link isn't working.

11:55 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I don't know why your chickens won't eat tomatoes. They are picky chickens. I read it when I was a sophomore I think. It seemed like such science fiction. Thanks for the heads up on the link. Will try and fix it.

12:32 PM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

Your chickens are adorable. What breed are they? I'd like to have chickens of my own eventually and have been scoping out McMurray's website to figure out which breed I should go with. And yes, yesterday was an absolutely beautiful day.

Today's a sad day for our county. I've been watching the news as much as I can at work. It's all so senseless.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Juli said...

Oh M... so much to think about... it's a bit overwhelming. My mind, like the world we live in, is so cloudy that I can't make sense of much. :(

I haven't read anything my Margaret Atwood. My husband recently read The Oryx and Crake and found it similar to another M.A. book he read years ago. It may have been THT but he couldn't remember.

I was delighted to see pictures of poultry. I am still missing my girls like crazy. I recently read Still Life with Chickens and it was fun to read her experiences with chickens. A city woman making a huge life change and chickens helped give her a reason to wake up every day. I, too, found my girls to be therapeutic in their own way.

We are SO very sorry of the news from Lancaster Co. It just lends itself to the question: what the hell is happening in this world?? Our hearts go out to all of those personally affected by one disturbed person's actions.

And on an ending note... have you read Better Off by Eric Brende? http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-0060570059-2 If interested, I'd be happy to mail my copy to you. Drop me an email, if so.

8:08 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

Juli, Still life with chickens is on it's way from Amazon. My husband wanted a CD he couldn't find locally and I picked something to make up the $25 to get the free shipping. It looks like a good book. I do also have Better Off. I'm not sure I have the wherewithall (sp?) to do what they did..(can you imagine firing a wood cookstove to cook everything?)....but it was an inspiring book.

Wurwolf, My chickens are Buff Orpingtons and Plymouth Barred Rocks. I purchased them at Pickering Valley Feed Store in Chester County. They had a really good selection and did not require a certain number of birds to be purchased.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the photos...especially of the curtains flapping in the breeze. Brings back a lot of good memories and your pictures actually made me "feel" how great your weather was.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your photos, Meredith! That clothes line takes me to a better place and I hate housework. Yes, time to read Handmaid's Tale again, although, with all that is going on in the world, not sure I can add another notch. Your chickens are so wonderful! Thoughtful post.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home