Tuesday, September 26, 2006

They eat chickens, don't they?

So it seems that word is out about the chickens. We have lived in our house for four years. I have never seen evidence of anything other than groundhogs, rabbits, hawks, and owls. Once we saw a really dilapidated coyote walk along the tree line in the winter, but never again. Yesterday, there was a huge raccoon that had been hit and killed either just coming or just going from our property. And there have been two possums killed; one in the road and one in the field behind us, I guess from the combine taking down the barley earlier (it had no legs). And my farmer neighbor reported seeing several foxes. Will a raccoon or a possum eat a chicken or are they just after eggs? The dogs freak out and sniff all around the fenced in chicken yard every morning and I check for evidence of tampering along all the chicken wire or digging, but so far nothing. I kind of think I need to worry about raccoons, although I was thrilled to see evidence of them. How do you deter a raccoon? Once the corn is down though, I think these visits will dwindle. There will be simply too much open space (100s of acres of bare field) for them to safely cross to get to our property. It will be interesting to see what is moving around out there after the first snow fall.....all the little tracks.

Things I picked yesterday:

A heart shaped apple.












A bunch of orange zinnias. Definitely worth the price of packet of seeds. Sprinkled in the garden and never bothered with again. Still blooming their hearts out.











And four eggs. I wonder what accounts for the slight variation in color? And who lays what? Occasionally there is a speckled one in there. My favorits is the second one on the left. I sold my first dozen yesterday. Woohoo!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure about the raccoons in the hen house, we have to worry more around here about the wild things bringing rabies to the yard animals. Is it the same there?
Laura, on Somewhere in NJ just had a chicken story, and I told her that the our biggest coop problem was chicken snakes, do you have them?
I n Oklahoma, I have been in the chickenhouse to find that there was a snake above the door sill, that I have to pass to get out!
By the way, I aprreciate your last two posts! Told my mom about them, but she gets so worked up on the subject, (does not like you know who) that I am afraid she might have a heart attack!

5:34 PM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I haven't seen any snakes yet. Hopefully I don't because my husband would put the house up for sale. He REALLY hates snakes. What is a chicken snake? Is it a Black snake? I don't think I would like walking under a door with a snake over it. I haven't ever seen rabid animals around here but that doesn't mean they aren't around. Glad you appreciated my previous posts. The fact that pretty much no one commented made me feel a little weird, like everyone thinks I've come undone. I just get really upset about what I see is happening and don't understand why other people aren't equally bothered.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meredith,
I just looked up chicken snake. You don't have them there. Looks like the real name is Texas Ratsnake.

http://www.kingsnake.com/ratsnake/texas.htm

I don't even like to look at pictures of them! And, after reading this, there is no way I would go in a chicken coop, down in that area. And, now I am going to have to worry about oak trees!

5:00 PM  
Blogger wurwolf said...

Don't feel weird about not receiving comments regarding politics, etc. I think a lot of us agree with you, it's just that you've said everything so well I for one have nothing to add! :o)

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you have to worry about oak trees? Did I miss something? Mel

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashly said...
iam really scared of raccons eating my chickens!!!!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont worry about possums eating your chickens, but I would really love to eat your pussy! What size are your tits if you don't mind me asking? I dont mean to offend you, please accept my apology if so.. if not can I have your number? My name is Alan Hombos by the way. Lidcombe rulez

4:45 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Having a problem with snakes get a labrador my lab and my lab cross have cleaned every snake out of my yard and any thing else that comes along which doesn't mean some thing doesn't show up once in a while but even at night the dogs will get rowdy when something is in the yard. I just let them out.

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home